Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another Unidentified Plant Mystery Solved

Pulmonaria. Those cute little flowers start out pink, turn kind of purple and then finish up blue. I feel a little bit silly that I didn't know what it was, but I've never grown it before. Late last fall, I went to a friend-of-a-friend's house and dug up loads of her unwanted plants (she had just purchased a house and wanted more grass than gardens). It was some time in October and most things were already dying back, so it was difficult to identify plants. As time was running out before the first frost, I hastily shoved things in the ground, placing them in sun/shade/wet/dry as best I could based on what I thought the plants were. And now I have millions of things coming up and I don't know what they are, if they're in the right place, or what color they will turn out to be. I have dreams that I have a horrible mishmash of colors and textures. And then I have tremendous dreams of incredible plants blooming all over the yard - like Himalayan Blue Poppies, and awesome daylilies, Asiatic lilies, peach-colored peonies ...

I quite like the pulmonaria and wish I had more of it. Alas, I only dug out a single specimen. I'm hoping I might be able to go back to the the friend-of-a-friend's house for a round of spring cleaning. It really was a treasure trove. More on that to come.

No comments: